Friday, May 23, 2008

An eye for an eye

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
For the first time ever, Mark Anthony bit Tommy on the middle finger on his right hand. For absolutely no reason. Tommy was in his high chair. It wasnt like Tommy had taken a toy or pulled his hair or bit him. I guess it was a "let's see what happens" type thing. It was 8:30pm, maybe a little later. It has been a long day. A good day, but a long one. Tommy doesnt feel his greatest and he was already fussy. So Mark Anthony was talking to him, sitting in the chair beside him. Then Tommy goes from fussing to all out screaming and has pulled his hand into the chair with his body. Mark Anthony has this strange look on his face. For some reason I just knew. I said, "whats wrong with Tommy? you didnt bite him did you?". I dont know why I even thought that. Mark Anthony has not tried to bite anyone in almost a year, and even then it wasnt a major issue, he would just bite Lacee when he would get overly excited playing with her. Anyway, so I pulled Tommy's hand out and sure enough, the finger was red and then right there on his finger were teeth marks. Instantly, without thinking, I grab Mark Anthony, who by this time was in the process of getting away fast. I grab his hand and I bite him in the same place. Hard. Not breaking the skin hard. But enough for him to know I was not playing. Of course he cries as if I have broken his heart. Maybe I did. And Mark is walking in the door after a 15 hour work shift at this time. Lovely timing. "It was not your place to bite him back" he says. "But Tommy doesnt have enough teeth to do it himself" I protest. And then I look at Mark Anthony, and the heartbreak in his eyes, the shock, the tears, the "i cant believe you did that mommy" look in his eyes, then my heart broke. I am sure Tommy had the same thoughts and look in his eyes towards Mark Anthony, but I couldnt see his eyes for his chubby cheeks all squinched up. I dont know, Tommy may have been thinking..."paybacks are coming brother".
So I pick Mark Anthony up, and take him to his bedroom. I sit on his bed with him facing me in his lap. I hold him and get him to stop crying, then explain to him in his language that biting is not ok, that mommy is sorry she bit him but she did it to show him how he made tommy feel. And mommy loves you very very much. He listened, we hugged and kissed and then he said he wanted to go tell Tommy he was sorry. So he did. And he kissed him. And they ate supper, took a bath together, and are now both fast asleep in their own beds. And mommy will go to sleep wondering if she did the right thing and if the lesson will sink in so we dont have to do this again, ever.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Isn't being a mom great? Your story reminded me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM

It is Chelsea's all time favorite and I laugh every single time I see it:)

You do such a great job my friend!

Love,
amanda

Unknown said...

oh amanda thats funny!! that will be tommy laughing when he is able to pay mark anthony back!!
thanks for sharing that with me!