Monday, April 29, 2013

Sharing your Faith

It's pretty hard to share your faith in God with people nowadays.  The world is turning away from Him without shame.  People who go around preaching their faith all the time are considered pushy or self righteous.  How do you find the right way to share God's love?  It can be as simple as a friendly smile to someone who looks down, a meal to someone having a bad day, a gas card sent to someone struggling with finances.  Sure, you can put a note on the card or with the meal that says God loves you.  You can let them know God thought they could use a little pick me up.  But along with that, you need to be living a life that Glorifies Him!  That doesn't mean you have to be perfect, never mess up, always have it all together.  If that were the case Heaven would be pretty empty!
We don't want to condemn people, to judge people, to harp on anyone for their undesirable choices.  Why? Because thats not what Jesus came to do!  He came not to condemn, but to seek and save.  We want to show His love through ourselves, let our light shine, be a good example.
We also can't be afraid to let people know that we do love God, that we are Christians, and that we want them to be as well.  I'll admit, I don't do this as much as I should.  Sure, if asked, or the conversation is started, I'll let my heart be known.  But I don't seek out like I should.  During church service yesterday, the hymn pictured below was one we sang.  "You never mentioned Him to Me".  What an awful feeling it would be, to be standing at Heaven's gates and see someone we have worked with or played ball with or been in contact with many times, to see them weeping at the gates and look up at us and say "you never mentioned him to me!"  Oh that thought makes me sick to my stomach.  I had never thought about it that way before.
Its not my job.  Someone else can do it.  I'm not a preacher, I'm not a Sunday School Teacher.  There's a hundred churches in this town, if he/she wanted to know they could have just went.  The list of reasons/excuses can go on and on.  And sure, maybe those are true statements.  But God doesnt say, you can only talk about me if you are such and such or so and so. We are all called to not only share His love with those who already love Him, but to SEEK out those who are lost in an hopes that they may come to know and love Him as well.
I know I plan to do better about this, not by shouting and yelling and judging, but praying that my heart, my eyes, my ears are opened to hear the call when He places someone in my path that needs Him.  A simple hug and an "I'm praying for you" can be life changing.

No comments: